Racism in Canada
Articles & Videos:
- Plaques set up around Toronto tell the slave-owning pasts of prominent historical families
- Black people face ‘disproportionately’ high charge, arrest rates from Toronto police: report
- The Skin We’re In
Some great suggestions for how to have tough conversations from the book… “ Is Everyone Really Equal? An Introduction to Key Concepts in Social Justice Education.
1. Strive for intellectual humility.
2. Recognize the difference between opinions and informed knowledge.
3. Let go of personal anecdotal evidence and look at broader societal patterns.
4. Notice your own defensive reactions and attempt to use these reactions as entry points for gaining deeper self-knowledge.
5. Recognize how your own social positionality (such as your race, class, gender, sexuality, ability-status) informs your perspectives.