Here are some discussion questions or journal prompts based on the first sermon of our Community Practices series about spiritual friendship. You can watch the sermon online if you have not seen it yet.
- Who is one of your best friends? How did you meet? How did you become friends? Why do you think your friendship keeps growing?
- In what ways was this friendship different from other friendships that are distant now?
- How hard or how easy is it for you to bring your spiritual experience into your friendships?
- What changes an ordinary friendship into a spiritual friendship?
- What do you see in the relationship between David and Jonathan that you would like to have in a friendship?
A Prayer about Friendship from Ann Lamott
Hi, God. I am just a mess. It is all hopeless. What else is new?
I would be sick of me, if I were You, but miraculously, You are not.
I know I have no control over other people’s lives, and I hate this.
Yet I believe that if I accept this and surrender, You will meet me wherever I am.
Wow. Can this be true? If so, how is this afternoon – say, two-ish?
Thank You in advance for Your company and blessings.
You have never once let me down. Amen.